I’m often asked what I like to snack on, believe it or not I don’t have an exceptionally sweet tooth (I know this is hard to believe as I make an inordinate amount of cakes but they are not for me!) but I do crave a little something in the afternoon when I’m reaching for the teapot. Energy bites or bliss balls are a great little pick-me-up, packed with nutritious nuts, oats and with no refined sugar just a little honey. Add your favourite flavouring and you have the tastiest snack that doesn’t leave you feeling guilty. Winter is when most citrus fruits are at their sweetest and juiciest so what better flavouring than lemon. I have also made these with the addition of lime and orange is really delicious too. This recipe works equally well with skinned raw peanuts, almonds and or macadamia nuts.
If you fancy a completely different flavour combination take a look at my recipe for Blueberry Energy Balls
This is an excellent recipe if you are gluten sensitive or coeliac, vegan too!
Blissfull Lemon Energy Bites
- 60 g Porridge Oats use gluten free if you're coeliac
- 65 g Desiccated coconut plus 20g extra for rolling
- 150 g Raw Cashew nuts
- 35 g Runny Honey
- 1 tbsp Almond or Oat milk
- 1/2 Organic Lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- In a food processor place all of the ingredients and blend until you have a fine meal and it starts to come together.
- If you're making logs divide the mixture into two and shape into a square log, roll in desiccated coconut.
- If you'd prefer to make balls, divide into 16, roll and immediately roll in the desiccated coconut.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days if they last that long.