Savoury galettes or in other words free form tarts, I can confidently say are the perfect, reliable vegetarian dish. If pastry isn’t your strongest skill in the kitchen they welcome imperfection and improvisation and enormous amounts of cheese.
Once you get the hang of making the pastry, it will become second nature. Blanch whatever vegetables are in season, add a good handful of cheese, wrap them in the crust and bake until you have something deep, golden brown and bubbling. Now you have a meal that sits proudly in the centre of your table, add a good salad and a bottle of wine, hey presto you have created something everyone will enjoy. I’ve used purple sprouting broccoli in this galette because it’s at its absolute best at the moment. Paired with blue cheese is a marriage made in heaven.
Purple Sprouting Broccoli & Blue Cheese Galette
- 150 g plain flour
- 30 g white or wholemeal spelt four
- a good pinch cayenne pepper
- 110 g butter chilled and diced
- 1 egg yolk from a large egg
- 2½ tbsp water
- 20 g butter
- 20 g plain flour
- 200 ml milk
- 120 g blue cheese of choice
- 10 g cheddar grated
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- egg for glazing
- 220 g purple sprouting broccoli
- To make the galette pastry, put the flours, cayenne and butter into a food processor. Pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and pulse again until the pastry just comes together. Tip it out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently, without over working bring the dough together into a flattened ball. Wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- In the meantime make the cheese sauce. In a small saucepan melt the butter, then add the flour. Cook on a medium heat until the roux looks sandy in texture. Add a little milk and stir vigourously until it all comes together. Repeat until all the milk has been added. Simmer gently and stir for 3-5 minutes. Add the cheddar and 40g of blue cheese. Stir until the cheese has dissolved. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Cover with direct contact on the sauce so it doesn’t develop a skin.
- Trim the purple sprouting broccoli as the ends have a tendency to be woody. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil, add a teaspoon of salt. When the water is boiling add the broccoli and boil for approximately 2 minutes. Drain and immediately place in cold water. Drain and pat dry.
- Oven 190C fan.
- On a lightly floured surface place the pastry, roll out to approximately 35cm in diameter. Put the pastry on a piece of parchment paper on a baking tray. Now spread two thirds of the cheese sauce on the pastry, leaving approximately 8cm gap from the edge. Arrange the broccoli on top of the sauce. Sprinkle the crumbled cheese on the broccoli and dot with the remaining sauce.
- Fold the edges over , creating a kind of pleat, (this doesn't need to be neat, it is a free form tart after all). Brush the pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry golden and the sauce is bubbling in the middle.
- Serve warm. All you need now is a good salad.
- For a non veggie version add 4-5 chopped anchovy fillets to the cheese sauce as it cools, it adds another dimension on flavour.
- Try different blends of flours in the pastry, even add a small amount of ground nuts.