When I’m in need of a little comfort, this is my go to cake. Light, zingy and citrusy, perfect with a cup of tea and a good book. If you fancy, add a few berries for extra texture and fruitiness. Raspberries work incredibly well, straight from the freezer, as does blueberries and blackberries. The key to a good cake is to use butter and eggs at room temperature. Take time with beating the butter and sugar together and add the egg slowly. Taking these steps ensures a light and airy cake.
This tea-time treat is good for a few days due to the ground almond, if it lasts that long!
The Ultimate Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 20cm Cake tin or 900g Loaf tin
- 175 g Butter room temperature
- 175 g Caster sugar
- 100 g Self raising flour or plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder
- 75 g Ground almond
- 3 large eggs room temp
- A handful of frozen fruit optional
- zest of 2 large lemons juice of 1 large
- 50 g Demerara of granulated sugar
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until really light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk lightly with a fork. Add a literally a tablespoon of egg at a time to the butter mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. It's worth taking time with this as this will ensure a super light cake.
- Combine the flour with the ground almond and zest of the lemons. Fold in 3 additions to the cake batter. Pour into a greased and lined 20cm cake tin or a 900g loaf tin. If you're adding berries just sprinkle a handful on the top, pushing them in slightly.
- Bake at 160C fan for 40-42 minutes in the cake tin or 50 minutes in a loaf tin. Test to see if it’s ready by inserting a cocktail stick in the centre of the cake, it should come out clean.
- Juice the lemon and add the sugar, stir and pour over the baked cake as it comes out of the oven.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before placing on a plate.
Pour the lemon and sugar on the cake as it comes out the oven.
- Have all your ingredients ready before you start.
- Use butter and eggs at room temperature
- Use the zest of 3 limes and the juice of 2 instead of lemon.