This pasta dish is fresh, zesty, zingy and super tasty! With asparagus at their absolute best in the month of May, combined with lemon, Parmesan and a golden yolk is just the sort of easy, quick and appetising meal I like. It really couldn’t be more simple to make yet tastes amazing.
Spaghetti or spaghettini seems to work best in this dish. The sauce made from the pasta water and Parmesan coats the pasta wonderfully well.
Spaghetti with Lemon, Asparagus & a Golden Yolk
- 360 g Spaghetti
- 25 ml olive oil
- 1 large bunch asparagus trimmed & sliced
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- juice of 2 lemons zest of 1
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 50 g Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 egg yolks
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water 2 minutes less than the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile , heat the oil in a large shallow saucepan. When the oil is hot add the asparagus, season with a little salt, saute, stirring frequently, until they just begin to take a little colour, approx 2 minutes. Add the garlic, lemon zest and chilli and continue to cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Towards the end of the pasta cooking time remove approximately 75ml of the pasta water. Now return the asparagus to a gentle heat and add the lemon juice.
- Drain the pasta and give it a good shake. Quickly tip the cooked pasta onto the asparagus and stir, add some of the pasta water, rocket and the parmesan. Cook, tossing the pasta vigorously and adding more pasta water if needed, cook until the sauce is creamy and emulsified and pasta is coated, about 1 minute.
- Portion out into the bowls and place the egg yolk on the top. serve immediately.
- If asparagus is not in season use frozen peas and spinach.
- The water from the pasta and parmesan will make a creamy sauce so you don’t have to add the egg yolk, it just adds a little extra richness.