Some years ago I supplied cakes to a lovely local coffee shop in Marlow. Without doubt this along with my carrot cake were their best sellers. Made with sunflower oil it seems to keep for several days in the fridge without deteriorating, if you can resist! You can also make a dairy free version by switching the cream cheese frosting and using a thick natural coconut yogurt, adding icing sugar to taste along with the zest of a lime.
Courgette, Pistachio and Lime Cake
- 20cm deep cake tin
- 170 g Plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs medium
- 200 g sunflower oil
- 240 g golden caster sugar
- 60 g unsalted pistachios chopped
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 140 g courgette grated
- 1 egg white medium
- 2 Limes zest of
- ¼ tsp cloves ground
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 65 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 65 g icing sugar
- 1 lime zest
- 175 g cream cheese full fat
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 20 g unsalted pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan/Gas 3 Grease a 20cm deep cake tin and line the base with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ground cloves into a bowl, add the salt.
- Coarsely grate the courgette and squeeze out some of the liquid.
- Pour the sunflower oil into a large bowl and add the caster sugar mix lightly with the balloon whisk for a minute or two. Add the two eggs and whisk again for a couple of minutes. Now at the chopped, pistachios, coconut, lime zest and courgette and then add the sifted dry ingredients and fold with a spatula into the wet ingredients, don’t over mix.
- Whisk the egg white with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form then gently fold into the cake batter again being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 55 minutes to an hour. Ovens do vary, it may take a little longer in yours but you can insert a cocktail stick into the centre of the cake to check, it should come out dry. Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely in the tin.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter with the icing sugar until really light and fluffy. Add the lime zest, juice and cream cheese. Briefly whisk again until smooth and well combined, don’t over mix.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting on the top of the cake. Finally chop the pistachios and combine with the coconut, sprinkle on the cake and serve.