Generally you’ll always find a jar of these sweet piquant vegetables in my fridge. Pickled red onions transform raw onion from pungent and crunchy to delicate and mellow. Occasionally I add chilli flakes for extra spice or herbs for extra flavour. They couldn’t be quicker to make either, just measure out the ingredients and mix, hey presto ready in just an hour or two.
The perfect topping for an open sandwiches or condiments for burgers, salads and tacos. Quick pickled red onions will give your favourite dishes a burst of piquant flavour.
Scandinavian Quick Pickled Red Onions
- ½ red onion
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 60 ml apple cider or white wine vinegar you can use distilled white vinegar too.
- Finely slice the red onion, you can do this with a knife if you have good knife skills or use a mandolin. In a clean jam jar place the sugar, salt and vinegar and stir. Add the sliced onion to the jam jar. Top up with freshly boiled water from the kettle to just cover the onions. Screw the lid on and give it a little shake to distribute the ingredients. Place in the fridge for a couple of hours before using.
- The onions keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- For added Scandinavian flavours try adding dill seeds, caraway and peppercorns.
- Alternatively try adding fennel seeds, peppercorns, juniper berries allspice or evenstar anise.