You can never go wrong with a salad in the spring and summer. Massaged kale is a surprising good ingredient, add a delicious dressing with a few other tasty vegetables and you have a balanced and nutritious meal. This would also work really well with peas or chickpeas which could be instead of the broad beans.
Kale, Broad Bean & Avocado Salad
- 250 g Kale
- 250 g Broad beans I used frozen
- 2 Avocados ripe
- ½ pickled red onion go to bottom of the recipe to find link
- 2 Tbls toasted sesame seeds
- 3½ Tbls Greek style yogurt
- 1½ Tbls cider vinegar
- 1 Tsp Maple syrup
- 4 Tbls Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, small very finely sliced
- a good pinch smoked paprika
- a good pinch English mustard powder
- Begin by rinsing the kale and then dry with a clean tea-towel. Run your hand along the stem to remove the green leaves from the stalky stem. Stack the kale on top of each other and finely shred. Place it into a large mixing bowl and add a sprinkle of salt. Then with clean hands massage for 2-3 minutes. Leave for 15 minutes.
- To make the dressing whisk together the ingredients or shake them together in a jar.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add a generous sprinkle of salt. Add the broad beans, bring back to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Drain and run under the tap until cold. Remove the skins of the broad beans.
- Add the beans to the kale and dress the salad, toss to coat the vegetables.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the stone and peel. Slice lengthways and fan the avocado slices so that they form a long line with the slices overlapping each other. I usually remove the small slice from the ends because they are difficult to shape. Starting from one end, curl the avocado slices toward the centre. Continue curling until you have a rose shape.
- Arrange the salad in a large bowl or 4 individual bowls. Add the pickled red onion and place the avocado on the top. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve.
- Add a tablespoon of mayonnaise for extra richness.
- Try using different types of kale, ie. purple or cavollo nero.
- for a more substantial meal add feta or bacon for the carnivores.